Thursday, July 2, 2009

Hawaii Trip

Cody and I recently went to Hawaii, and we had a blast! It was absolutely beautiful. We went to Waikiki Beach b/c that is where the military resort is, and to be honest when we first got there I was a little disappointed. In my head I was saying, "WOW...Hawaii is really not what it is all cracked up to be!" But then over the next couple of days we went hiking, snorkeling, and to the north shore and I really got to see what Hawaii was like. It was nice to have that time with Cody now that we are done with the NAVY. We could sponsor one other room to come with us and my mom and dad came too. They got there a day after us, and we just thoroughly enjoyed our time with them!

Now that is what it was like in Hawaii beautiful water, beautiful fish, beautiful mountains, beautiful hotel room...all great right?!?!?! Now let's talk about the HELL trying to get to Hawaii! So we decided to try and fly standby to save money...brilliant. I learned what Cody meant when he said, " I really don't think we should fly standby b/c there is the chance we could get stuck. It makes for a long day and can be really stressful." But did I listen...oh no!...of course not I am always all about saving a buck (oh the irony). So we get to the airport at like 6:00 AM to go to Denver, and then we were trying to catch a flight from Denver to Hawaii. I am all bouncy and energetic like wahoo this will be an adventure HA! We didn't make it on the first flight...suck. Then we decide, screw trying to get to Colorado, lets try and make it to LA b/c there are more flights to Hawaii from there. So like 7 hours later we are in LAX (we did get to fly first class...pretty cool) So we try to get on the first flight to Hawaii. When we walk up to the gate I see a big screen with a standby list. In my head I am thinking, "Oh how convenient, we can just see WHEN we will get on the flight right here!" Little did I know that later i would want to rip the screen off the wall and throw it at every United worker (even though it wasn't their fault!) the list comes up...1-20...no Bobay....20-40....no Bobay...40-60....no Bobay....yup 68th and 69th. By the grace of the sweet Lord profanities did not come flying out my mouth, but turtle chex mix sure went into it to heal my hurt! So ok...we will try the next flight. I'll save you the misery and just tell you that we were 112th and 113th on that list, promising right?? So we finally decided to just buy a freakin ticket to Hawaii so we wouldn't have to deal with all this crap. So after a horrible 14 hr. experience of being in an airport, a GIANT price tag, and continually being slapped with disappointment I have resigned to NEVER fly standby again!
Here are some pics from the trip
Here we have plane tickets, and we KNOW we are getting to Hawaii!
We landed!
View from our balcony
First day on the beach!
Diamond Head hike! Half way up
At the top!
Father's Day Breakfast!
Dinner Cruise for Fathers Day
sunset kiss ;)

Beach Day


Polynesian Cultural Center and Luau

3 comments:

Jenna B said...

wow! i didn't realize flying standby would be like that. good to know! i'm so glad you had a great trip :)

Stephanie said...

I'm glad you guys EVENTUALLY made it and had a great time! You guys look like Ken and Barbie! :)

Meredith said...

Love the sunset kiss picture...very cute! Glad you had a great time!